The Board of Education recognizes that the services of community volunteers can enrich the school’s program, assist teaching staff members in the performance of their duties, and enhance the relationship between the schools and the community.
The following guidelines shall govern the service of school volunteers:
- Volunteers may serve only under the direction and supervision of a teaching staff member and /or the building principal.
- Volunteers should clearly understand their duties and responsibilities.
- Volunteers serve only in a support capacity; only teaching staff members are to be responsible for student behavior and educational planning decisions.
- Volunteers shall respect the individuality, dignity, and worth of each child.
- Volunteers are not permitted access to pupil records.
- Volunteers must check in with the school office daily when entering and leaving the school building.
- Volunteers should exercise discretion in discussing the particular aspects of classroom activities or individual personalities with others in the community.
- Volunteers shall receive no financial remuneration from the Board of Education.
- The Superintendent shall report annually to the Board on the number of volunteers serving in the schools of the district and the types of duties performed.
- Volunteers must sign a confidentiality statement.